Friday, June 11, 2010

Key West or Bust

Right now I'm sitting on a roof top deck in downtown Key West.  I began the journey across the state with the Michael E Arth campaign for Governor.  I met Michael this morning at his house in the Garden District of Deland, Fl where the crew I'll be spending the next 8 weeks with all met each other for the first time.  3 Guys and 1 Girl all about my age, Michael and for this weekend his daughter all packed the trailer and van and got on the road. 

I brought my car with me so that I'll be able to travel back and forth to school each Monday.  Then during the rest of the week I'll be traveling with the group, working on the campaign.   Tomorrow we kick off the campaign at the Key West Pride Parade before heading to Boca Raton.

Following us throughout the journey is two person film crew who are creating a documentary about the process of running for Governor. The most interesting aspect of the whole campaign is how Michael is moving throughout the state.  Each day he will get on his bike and ride 20 or so miles with us interns following him in the van. 

Today we drove from Deland to Key West, about 425 miles.  Along the way I got to know a young couple who are interning together and Micheal's daughter rode with us watching Hannah Montana movies until mid-afternoon when she went to hang out with her father.  It was a great ride filled with chit chat about politics, dreams, and past experiences.  Its great to meet so many people who have the same hope for the future of Florida as I do. 

The next 8 weeks will be challenging trying to balance both school and traveling throughout the state campaigning for the change we need within the state but I believe in both and in the end both are what will help me become what I need to me in the fall.

On Sunday night I stayed up all night worrying about what I was going to do this summer and where I was headed then around 10am on Monday I found that Michael was looking for interns for his campaign run.  I was familiar with Michael through his Pedestrian Urbanism concepts and was intrigued by his run for Governor.  I sent in my information and within 30mins Michael himself called me.  We chatted for almost an hour and then it was decided on the spot and I was part of the team.  It amazes me how it takes me getting to such low points before I truly blindly jump into the opportunities that seemingly always help me.

My goal is to live a life of some risks, or some blind moves.  Sure I will fail sometimes, but I would rather fail and few times and win a few times than never win at all.  That is what Michael is doing with this campaign.  He's taking the all the dialetc and desires for change and working in the front line for that change.  He has taken many risks, sometimes failing but often times succedding.  This seems to be the general rule with any millionaire, take risks, understand you may fail, but believe you won't.  All that though is much harder to do than say, but my hope is that this summer I learn to take those risks.

"...if we wait for the government, it'll be too little, too late; if we act as individuals, it'll be too little; but if we act as communities, it might just be enough, just in time." ~Rob Hopkins
         

No comments: