Wow, time has quickly slipped away from me. Not as much has been happening but I thought an update would still be good.
Well Jimmy, the intern who was thinking of leaving did. He informed Michael about his plans and I gave him a ride back to Deland. Along with us was Sophie, Mike's daughter. The three of us left the campaign in Boca tired and ready for a break. Once arriving in Deland I met Mike's wife. Then it was dinner and an exit interview for Jimmy. The setting of the interview was this amazing little bar in Deland that I've been back to a couple of times.
After the interview Jimmy came down to Orlando to stay at my place for a few days. In those few days we became close good friends. I wasn't expecting to keep in touch with many people from the campaign but its always nice to increase my circle of friends.
We hung out the next few days in Orlando. I love playing tour guide! It was really a fun time. On Wednesday he was off to Gainesville and I headed back to Boca Raton to rejoin the group. Mike had rode his bike so far north that it was not feasible for him to drive back and forth to where he left off so the next few days in Boca were spent going to events in the surrounding area.
We went to a political meet and greet at CityPlace in West Palm where many local politicians were. I am constantly amazed at the progressive, forward thinking choices Floridians finally have. I have long supported a number of Florida politicians but it seems like the group of good trust worthy ones is continually growing.
After the meet and greet we were invited to a debate at a local church. The debate was sponsored by the local 912 group. It is always nice to see a group with a specific political leaning letting true discussion of all sides happen. I believe this is the only way we can have any change in American politics, open true discussion where ALL sides are able to present their ideas without the fear or backlash of the other parties.
Soon we were off to Fort Pierce. Here we participated in the Hands Across the Sands event and explored a local New Urbanism community. We stayed with a local family who Mike knew. They were more than hospitable providing all everything we ever needed including amazing huge southern home cooked meals. There is something to say about Southern hospitality. I personally don't believe its a southern thing as I have experienced in places like Montana, Michigan, and even Germany but its always refreshing no matter where one is.
Just as I was getting comfortable in Fort Pierce we were back in Central Florida. We've been here the last two weeks due to a perfect storm of events beyond our control. In the meantime I have been focused on school and the summer. The van has been in and out of the shop. The three other original interns have all left the campaign due to unforeseen circumstances. Even in the minor resemblance to a actual campaign that this is I have learn so much about politics by being involved with this campaign. I am excited about how the documentary will show all that is involved with a campaign. This campaign is far from ordinary (we've had everything from a tornado to boycotts to fiance concerns) but the lessons in it are universal and many of the experiences are things I can use throughout my life.
After some meetings with my advisor I have decided to take a non-thesis track at school. The new track will better suit me and help prepare me for a career once I get out. It does cause me to need more classes so I have been reworking my classes to adjust to the new path.
Jimmy has come down one more time since the campaign has stalled out. He and I are becoming close friends. The last time he was down my roommate and I were hosting some couch surfers from Switzerland. We all went shopping and clubbing together and had a good time forming new and deeper friendships.
My roommate signed a lease on a new larger apartment in the same building this week. Now we can host more couch surfers more often. I look forward to this growing list of international friendships. Each and every couch surfer we have had has challenged and educated me in a unique way that only a person from that specific culture could. What a great way to constantly be challenging myself and learning about the world at large.
The van has been fixed and the campaign is being jump started tomorrow as we head from Jacksonville across to Pensacola the next few weeks. Looks like we are on the road again. I can't wait to meet the amazing people of north Florida. I have had little time to connect with people from this area of Florida so I look forward to seeing what is in store for this unique region of Florida!
No comments:
Post a Comment