Monday, November 16, 2009

explanation of recent postings

I realized that lately I have been posting a lot of urban design and referencing New Urbanism quite a bit. Some of you have been asking me why do I care so much about this. I'll let this video do the explaining for me.






As people buy their hybrid cars, change their light bulbs to energy efficient ones, and drink their shade grown coffee I sit back and realize that if we don't stop the sprawl, stop the idea of the suburbs, if we don't embrace the village model none of the other things.

Until we change the way we live, until we change the way our cities are designed none of the other things will have a lasting impact. I choose to give up a nice apartment with plenty of luxuries to live in a more dense, planned area because I realized that by living here I will be more active and more environmentally friendly. I have met more people in the month I have lived here than in ANY other place I have EVER lived! I have neighbors who do leave their doors unlocked. I am able to take a walk each evening. I am able to walk to dinner, walk to the grocery store, I am able to live in my community and not just consume the resources of it.

It is this idea of a better way of living, a healthier community focused lifestyle, that I am so consumed by new urban design ideas. My dream is to be able to take these ideas that I am living out and help ensure that everyone who wishes to have that lifestyle, no matter their socioeconomic condition, will be able to live in that style of community.

No comments: