Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Christmas in Nashvegas!

Its been quite awhile since I last updated. I am getting a computer this weekend so that should help, now though I am still using whoever’s computer I can snag for a minute.

Maggie and I headed to Nashville (or as I prefer Nash-Vegas) for Christmas. Her family all live in the greater Nashville area so I was able to meet many family members I had never met before. I usually hate Christmas with a passion, so much stress, so many crowds, so many events and so little money, time, or patience. This year though I really enjoyed. Maggie and I stayed at her parents house, along with her grandma, her brother, his wife and their two daughters. I had met her brother before but not his family. The kids (16months and 4 yrs old) both liked me and I loved them!

Growing up in Central Florida I had never really had a traditional Christmas. I mean its usually in the mid 70’s around Christmas. Plus Florida is special. It seems we do all kinds of weird things that they don’t even think about doing up north, I had always assumed everyone did these things but I learned this year that they don’t. Central Florida is filled with fake snowfalls that are actually soap bubbles, Christmas light events hosted in graveyards, huge Christmas light events in every city, Christmas boat parades, Christmas ice cream events, etc. It was very interesting seeing how Christmas is celebrated in Nashville, less lights, less cheesy laser shows and fake snow, but more simple pleasures.

Being an only child and an only grandchild means that my family’s Christmas was usually very small, this year though all of Maggie’s family came to her parents house. It was huge, almost overwhelming for me. But I loved it. I loved the fact that the fire was going (and actually was needed, we still have fires in Florida but usually turn the AC on when they are on). The fact that the house was filled. The cooking and the huge amount of food. Now don’t get me wrong I love how my family celebrates Christmas, which usually includes going to the movies and dinner at Perkins or one of the other few restaurants that’s open. But this year it was a true Christmas. I woke up and felt the cold air, I peeked through the window to see if snow was falling. I heard the kids playing with their new toys. I smelt the food being cooked. It was just like the postcards.

It was also a hard Christmas. Last year was the first Christmas since my grandparents passing away. My parents, Maggie and I all went to her parents house but it was just us. This year my parents staying in Florida. It was weird not seeing them on Christmas and it really sunk in this year that my grandparents aren’t around anymore. This year also has been hard, as I have been without a fulltime job for 15 months now, my father has been unemployed for 5 months. Then realizing this time next year Maggie and I will be married, it all was a lot to take in.

The crowded house plus all the internal emotions kept me very grounded this year and helped me realize what Christmas, what family is all about.

No comments: