Monday, September 22, 2008

My Top 5 Favorite Reality Shows (as of right now)

#5 Kathy Griffin: My Life on My D-List

I used to not like Kathy Griffin but after watching a few episodes of this show I love her now! Her witty humor, her crazy assistants, and the interesting situations they find themselves make this one great show. Sure her jokes seem to center around gays, but she’s a huge supporter of the GBLT community and that comes out in all she does.


#4 Jon and Kate Plus 8

There is a lot of debate whether or not Jon and Kate are good parents and if their marriage is doing okay. But how good of a parent would you be with 8 kids? What draws me to this show is how real Jon and Kate are. You can tell this is how they act when the lights go off and the camera crews go home. This is one of the most realistic views of the modern American middle class family that I have seen on tv in quite awhile. They struggle together, they fight, they getting tired of each other but at the end of the day they love each other. It seems no part of their life is off limits either. The show follows the family on vacation, at church, at the park, no matter where the family goes the cameras go too. The camera crews (the same since the first episode) have become a part of the family and you can sense that through the way the family interacts with the cameras.


#3 WipeOut

I watch a lot of politics (A LOT), quite a bit of educational programming, and very little fictional television. With all the continual thinking I do it’s nice to have a show that involves absolutely no thinking. This show is based completely around how to make people fall. They fall off big balls, they fall off spinning platforms, and they get punched off ledges, its all about falling. It never gets old. Each week they seem to change the obstacle course just a little to make it unique and original. Sometimes the contestants fall into mud, other times they fall into bubbles, often they fall into water. This is one of the very few shows that make me laugh.


#2 Flipping Out

I love this show. It involves lots of things I enjoy watching and talking about: construction, California business, money, real estate, and human interactions. My favorite personality is the housekeeper. Each person on this show keeps it real. They show the real and hard side of the house flipping business. Its not just house flipping that makes this show, it’s the interaction of the people and the side stories they have that make it. Jeff reminds me of myself, I have that short patience for those who I disagree with and those who annoy me (not that it’s good, but hey I have it). When I see him acting on that it makes me smile.


#1 Million Dollar Listing

By far one of the best reality shows on TV! This show is one of the best and most raw looks at the high end real estate business. One of the biggest critiques of the show is that the real estate agents are so young (the youngest one just turned 22, the oldest is 30). Sure it’s rare to find a 22 year old real estate agent who sells multi-million dollar listings. But that’s reality, in the show, just like in reality; they show its all about the connections. All three agents have family who support them and help them find leads, all three agents have friends who help them out, and all three agents work their butts off on each and every sale. They show when the agents get upset with the clients and when the clients get upset with the agents! I love how they both seem to not realize that whatever they say or do will end up on television (or so they act). The deeper struggles are shown also, the struggles with alcohol, prescription drugs, relationships, and fulfillment in life. All three agents are going through a quarter life crisis and we as the viewers have a front row seat.



These are the shows I spend my time watching. Most of the time I record them and watch them on Saturdays all back to back. Million Dollar Listing is one of the few shows I make sure to watch each and every episode of, most shows I will watch off and on. I like all five of these shows because I see a part of me in each of them (which isn’t that what ultimately television is made for, personal and cultural reflection). I fast forward through all the commercials so I miss most new shows, outside of those I hear advertised on my phone or talked about on the Podcast I watch, like PopCandy. What reality shows do you like? Which ones would I like?

Thanks!


-------------------


Just for fun here a few reality shows I wish would be made…(if they already exist, please tell me cause I want to watch them!)


The life of Cher- I totally see this on Logo. Just your basic celeb with cameras following her every move.


Life and Times of the paparazzo- I would love to see a reality show following a group of paparazzo! Show their long hours, relentless stalking, and huge knowledge of their celebrity assignments.


Palin- Like I said before a reality show following Sarah Palin on Lifetime would be a huge hit. Politics, family life, women’s struggles, this show would have it all! Imagine the Westwing meets 7th Heaven! I would love it and I bet lots of other people would too!


Small Town USA-Have an entire town sign up for a reality show. Follow multiple families in the town, follow town politics, and town gossip. Every small town has its fair share of gossip and action, let’s make it famous! Teen pregnancies, cheating spouses, drugs, that is what small town America is filled with, that is what this show would be all about!


Holiday World- Travel Channel really has yet to jump onto the reality show bandwagon, sure they had that one cruise ship show, but that sucked. Holiday World is one of the greatest American success stories. A small family owned amusement park that is now an international phenomenon! One of the first theme parks with a blog, one of the first with 24/7 live webcams, this park has always been at the cutting edge. A reality show following the family, the conflicts, and the business of running a theme park would be a very interesting show.


-------------------------


And for fun take a stroll down memory lane with these TOP 15 WORST REALITY SHOWS EVER! Whats sad is I think I've all of these shows.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A-hem! Actually, the HoliBlog was the very first park-hosted blog. (Just wanted to set the record straight for any Hollywood producers who might be lurking.) :0)