Thursday, April 10, 2008

A new website to watch out for

So I found a new website today, it was listed on the cool hunter website. I clicked on it and wow, it was amazing. Its similar to all those online confession websites that seem to be popular these days. This one though is prayers that you send God. This idea has been around for hundreds of years, people writing out their prayers to God. I have a book at home that I love. It was done by a priest about 40 years ago. The prayers are amazing, prayers for racial unity, prayers for 1960s New York slums, prayers for hookers, its an intense prayer book. Sometimes I read through it and thank God for how far we've come in the last 40 years, other times I read it and tear up over how little have advanced.

I think I will be doing the same with this website. The interesting thing with this website is that it doesn't specify what god or being a user should pray too. This aspect will help the site, it will be interesting to see people of different faiths coming together and searching for truth together. Just on my glance of the site there was people praying to Jesus, Allah, a higher being, Life Spirit. All though different belief structures, different locations, different ages, all seeking one truth. GOD HELP US!



Sample Prayers from the site

Dear God, I’M STUCK. I feel like I’m not going anywhere. To be quite frank, I always have made fun of religion. I don’t believe in it, nor do i believe in the whole Jesus being your son thing, if he is your son, or if you really impregnated Mary or if you yourself are something real or just a fictional story. I can’t stop but hate everything I stand for. I love everyone, but i can’t love myself. I try to find good in everyone during practices, but I can’t any for myself. I want to feel something that stays good so I am turning to you. My family is a mess and my mom is the only one left being sane with me. My fathers ill and I just don’t care anymore. He does it to himself anyways so i hope he gets his wish soon. I’m taking a chance with this …. so take a chance with me …….. All i want to do is feel good for more than a moment and learn how to enjoy life again.Caitlin, Indiana/USA

Here is a confession from one of the other sites

I’m so scared of dying.
So scared that I’m wasting so much of my life worrying about it. Ugh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One cool way to do a prayer journal if you want one is an idea that my Sunday school class did together when I was in high school. We got old style fax paper on a roll. We then wrote our prayers on it. When a prayer was answered (no matter how it was answered) we wrote the answer on under the prayer. We kept this 'prayer scroll' in the corner of the room and each week we would all lay hands on it and pray for all the prayers in it. It was a great way for us to visualize our prayers and created a sense of unity amongst the group.

Another idea I have used in the past writing out my prayers and then burning them. The smoke rises, as if towards heaven, symbolic of your prayers rising to heaven. I've used the same idea but with incense during mediation and prayer times. I have always loved the candles found in catholic churches, each candle representing a prayer, a person who is seeking.

DCFC0204

What ways have you used a prayer journal? Got any other ideas






--welcome to the wormhole--

No comments: