Saturday, September 6, 2008

Trends I like

Within the last few months and years America has began to change. There are some changes that scare me, others though I am excited to see. I think that the America of our grandparents, even our parents, is long gone. What will this ‘New America’ look and sound like. How will it be active in the global market? How are we today changing America for our future grandkids?

Here are some of the trends I like…


Smaller Cars

I have never understood the whole concept of huge vehicles. There is no need for a soccer mom to own a mini bus! I get so excited every time I see a smartcar on the road. I love that America is becoming more welcoming to cars of all sizes. Sure some people and businesses need large vehicles, most of us don’t though. Its refreshing to see the mix of cars on the roads anymore. I hope this continues. I would like to see special lanes for small cars and special mini parking spaces for them. A smart car does not need the space a SUV needs so specific size parking spaces would be perfect!


A refocus on mass transit

At one time every major city and many smaller cities in America had huge mass transit systems. Then in the 50’s and 60’s these transit systems were paved over, now they are finally being dug up, redone, and given a new life. I love that these trolley systems are being rebirthed. Its so exciting to be a part of the resurgence of our cities. We today are laying the foundation for new user friendly cities of tomorrow. We today are realizing cars aren’t the only mode of transportation and in many cases they aren’t the most desirable.


A resurgence of the arts

In what some have called a modern renaissance America has begun to embrace art like never before. Towns are beginning to take pride in their local artist. Art centers, performing art halls and theaters are become icons for each city. Classic films are being played in city parks and the arts are being celebrated like never before. Cathedrals are once again rising in the plains. The renaissance is being rebirthed in America. What our grandchildren will have is cities full of historic art. They will have church buildings full of murals, parks full of sculptures and traditions based around art itself.

Art is becoming free again, enjoyed by all. Art inspires, America is being inspired and will continue to become inspired from its art.


History is being noticed

Compared to most of the world America is still a very young country. With that comes less history. America though has a rich history, a long history, longer than just the last 300 years. Its history dates back to the Spaniards in the 1600’s, it goes beyond them back to the Indians. Finally this history is being recognized. Plaques, statues, historical museums, history parks are being opened, erected, and noticed. To truly take pride and ownership in something one must know the history of it. People are finally learning the rich and complex history of America. By the time our grandchildren grace our streets I imagine cities full of history.

I would love to see interactive kiosks that help teach this history. There are countless websites helping teach American history and now there are numerous television shows. Americans are making history and are learning history. This will help America not repeat the mistakes of its past, it will help it soar into the future as a world player.



These are just a few of the many trends I have been noticing lately that I like. This is just a quick thought of a few things. What have you noticed? Any trends you like, any of these you dislike?

No comments: